With the colder nights drawing in, this comforting risotto is perfect for a weekend wind-down for special mid-week meal. You can also switch mascarpone with cream cheese for a cheaper alternative.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 175g risotto rice
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- 30g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- 30g mascarpone, or cream cheese
- 1⁄2 small bunch of basil, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion along with a pinch of salt, and fry for 10 mins or until beginning to soften and turn translucent, then add the garlic and fry for 1 min. Stir in the rice and cook for 2 mins.
- Tip in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add half the stock, cooking and stirring until absorbed. Add the remaining stock, a ladleful at a time, and cook until the rice is al dente, stirring constantly for around 20 mins.
- Stir through the parmesan, mascarpone or cream cheese, and basil, then season to taste. Spoon into bowls to serve.
Source: BBC Good Food - Esther Clark